Chevron’s project scope included installation of a CNG fueling system for heavy duty vehicles at an existing retail fueling facility. This included equipment, a CMU block enclosure, a canopy, and two fuel dispensing locations.
Constructing a new CNG station at an active retail gas station requires understanding the safety hazards working with gasoline at a working retail site. The existing Chevron service station and convenience store remained open during construction activities with minimal business interferences.
The Lost Hills site required extensive utility coordination and new infrastructure to supply the station with adequate gas and power during construction. Some elements of the existing gas station’s UST vent system needed to be relocated as part of the project to make room for the new CNG equipment. FASTECH and WPI performed this work without using outside contractors.
- Due to site space constraints, the new CNG equipment compound was designed and built around the existing Chevron high rise freeway sign. This required careful planning and a large mobile crane to safely set equipment under and around the sign and its support structure.
- Supply chain adaptations were implemented due to switchgear, utility, and component delays, as well as power and gas delays.
- An aggressive 11-week schedule (including temporary utility connections not originally accounted for) was planned during the holidays and rainy season.
- Extensive daily coordination with suppliers and resource leveling was required to expedite key critical path tasks and accelerate the schedule.
- Due to the aggressive project schedule, FASTECH and WPI engaged with a vendor that could supply temporary sources of power and gas via compressed gas tube trailers and generators to facilitate the commissioning of the system.
- The site’s gasoline vapor recovery tank and underground piping were relocated.
- Equipment installed: Twin tower dryer, two 250 hp Duplex compressors, new electrical service and connections, two 3-pack cylinder storage vessel cascade filling system with integrated piping and controls.